I cannot reach a moderator, send a PM or an email

Post subject: I cannot reach a moderator, send a PM or an email
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:51 am 
Scavenger

Hi

I needed help from an administrator or moderator with an issue but every time I try to send a PM or use one of the emails listed, I get a kind of error message. :(

I really prefer not to blurt out private profile problems on the boards and I don't know why I cannot send at least PM's.

Can admin or a moderator tell me if the PM and email functions have been disabled?

Thank you

Post subject: Here is the error message and it also shows up for postings
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:03 am 
Scavenger

I managed to get one post up, my first one for help that is above this.

Then I tried to post a regular message on the topic dealing with dvd movie "guilty pleasures"

I got the same error message that I recieved when trying to contact an admin or moderator using the PM system and the email provided. Here it is----->

Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused

DEBUG MODE

Line : 112
File : smtp.php

I know that my own forum, "Tribe of Stephen" is disgustingly tiny, but my webmaster is an exceptionally good software writer and trouble-shooter. If you need help with your database perhaps we can help.

I hope this darn thing will post :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:13 am 
Rad-X

Your message will be sent despite the error msgs.

Post subject: Okay:-D
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:18 am 
Scavenger

sic. wrote:
Your message will be sent despite the error msgs.

Thanks, that's a relief, because I sent two copies earlier, one to a PM and one to the email link:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:15 pm 
Rad-X

I get that error message too, but once I realized the message gets posted anyway, I figured it was no big deal.

Also, for some reason I never stay logged in anymore, but again it's no big deal. I just roll with the punches these days... :wink:

Post subject: !??!
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:28 am 
Site Admin

First I've seen of this. You know this site, we normally don't have problems here :)

I've been researching this, and this is the basic scoop -- the Forum is having 'trouble' talking to our mail server. So this is what's going on ...

You go to post a message in the forum -- let's say it's a reply to an existing message. Aiight. Boom, you reply. The Forum will post the reply, and then email the person or persons involved, to let them know a reply has been posted. So -- this is why a) your message is posted, with no problems, and b) why an error message still shows up. The error wasn't the posting of your message -- it was the behind the scenes e-mailing of a notification.

Basically, same with a PM. The Forum uses the same mail server for PM's, as it does e-mails. So -- same problem. Can't talk to the mail server, so an error is reflected. However, since PM's between Forum users are all local, and don't need to 'leave', a localized copy will still be sent to the user's Private Messages box, here in the Forums.

Now, that of course leaves the question: What the frack (felger-carb!) is going on with the mail server, then!? Well, that is certainly the question of the hour. It appears this can be a temporary problem, if it's just a hiccup. If it is, and the mail server comes back up after a nice power-nap, said problems will disappear..... just like that dream ........

But for all we know it's a coma, instead of a nap, so I'm going to continue investigating, and see if we can't throw a bucket of cold water on that sucker, and wake things up one way or another! :poke:

Post subject: Re: !??!
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:35 am 
Scavenger

Oops.

I'm really sorry. I didn't realize that my posts were actually showing up.

I just saw the error messages and assumed that the posts never appeared because there was no re-direct.

I'm really sorry about that 8-[