What do you think about moving our current phpBB Forum over to vBulletin?
No, I don't like vBulletin because it's .... "commercial". 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, I don't like vBulletin because .... of some other reason. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, there's something about phpBB I really like, and want to stay with! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sure, vBulletin is solid, and I'd have no problems with switching over. 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
I'm not really technically savvy enough to call it, either way ... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Absolutely. The voices in my head tell me that vBulletin RoXXors. 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
wAht iz a forem? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

hurmph. Possible conversion to vBulletin?

Post subject: hurmph. Possible conversion to vBulletin?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:33 am 
Site Admin

I am tiring of the spammers. The hardcore spammers are in possession of a hack that can read phpBB's CAPTCHA ... essentially making it useless, and giving them carte blanche to create spam accounts. I've been rabidly diligent recently, deleting them as fast as they appear. But this is getting old. phpBB has some 'tweaks' you can make to make it more difficult for the spammer ... but they're mostly speedbumps, not barriers ... and they're a real hassle to deal with ... all kinds of code editing, bunches of files -- and if a bug-fix/security upgrade for phpBB comes out -- and you install it? Wheee, you've just wiped out all that 'modding' you did, and would have to start all that over again from scratch, to get the 'mods' you wanted back again.

The long and short of it, is I'm entertaining thoughts of upgrading the Forum software to vBulletin. As good as phpBB is, I think vBulletin is bigger, badder, better. It'll have a CAPTCHA module (and god knows what else) that won't be swiss cheese to the spammers. It even has an import module that would make a transition painless. It can import users, message posts, the whole kit-n'-kaboodle, no problem.

The look-n'-feel of the Forum would likely change a bit -- though I'd certainly try and have a theme that was as closest as possible to our current one. Every neat thingie we like about phpBB, we should have available to us under vBulletin. And I'm sure we'd be getting a few extra doo-dads we don't have right now.

The only 'catch', so to speak, is that vBulletin isn't free. But you know what? At this point, I could really care less. I'd be happy to shell out a few bucks, so I wouldn't have to deal with those !@(*%^ spammers getting accounts in every few hours -- all day -- every day. M----r F----r, if I ever found out where a couple of the more annoying ones lived .... they would not be happy. :bonk:

So anyway! Money, not the problem. Getting everything here, over? messages, users, and all that? not a problem. So what do you think?
:-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:56 am 
Rad-X

Hell, let's go for it!

Post subject: Re: hurmph. Possible conversion to vBulletin?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:34 pm 
Rad-X

phoebus wrote:
So what do you think?
:-k

Thanks for asking! I mod another forum, and know how irritating spammers can be- I delete about half a dozen posts a day, and they still come back. So- to relieve aggravation, I don't mind. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the vBulletin layout anyway...

On a side note, I use the word censor to foil spammers- I may not stop them from posting, but I can seriously fuck with their threads- for example, I use the word censor to change various key phrases spammers like to use:

For example, a spammer tries to post this:

abjermotab wrote:
ok, check this out: www.anal-fun.com

Instead, he ends up with:

abjermotab wrote:
Click to infect your computer with viruses: www.guatemalan-poetry.com

Bottom line: I will adapt to any changes made here. 8)

Post subject: Go for it
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:50 pm 
Scavenger

Damn the spammers and full speed ahead! :P

Post subject: Re: hurmph. Possible conversion to vBulletin?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:50 am 
Scavenger

Getting everything here, over?
ฝากเงิน gclub