Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

Corrections To Typos In The Articles, Interviews & Scrip

Post subject: Corrections To Typos In The Articles, Interviews & Scrip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:59 am 
Scavenger

This is one of my favorite sites; as such, I would like to lend a hand in polishing it up somewhat. The following is my first batch of typo corrections (thus far limited to the first six articles/interviews):

Archived - sic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:28 am 
Rad-X

:shock:

British spelling... Some of the articles are written by British writers, or were published in British publications.

First batch... Lord have mercy.

No big deal, I can fix those when I get around to it. You could start mailing them to me directly instead of publishing the evidence of my rotten spelling on the board. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:15 pm 
Rad-X

sic. wrote:
You could start mailing them to me directly instead of publishing the evidence of my rotten spelling on the board. :wink:

Although we don't mean to, sometimes we hurt the ones we love. :wink:

(In any case, that's one hell of a first post, isn't it?) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:54 am 
Scavenger

True enough, about the British authors/publications that is, but I noted the occurrences as the usage did not seem consistent in some instances. As such, I leave it to your discretion to appraise the usage on each individual employment.

Following the posting of Part IV of the Stanley interview, I will begin to send the error corrections directly to you, but until then I intend to continue in posting them here -- it is my feeble gambit in wanting to read more of the interview (which I realize you are not even the one transcribing -- all the same though). Sorry.

Also, the article summaries -- where applicable -- will need to be corrected to reflect the revised content when appropriate.

And while I do have some additional articles and content to contend with first, I do intend to scour the screenplays as well; however, now that you have made contact with Stanley will there be new screenplay drafts posted i.e., author's preferred drafts before studio interference and whatnot? It would be nice to know -- in general -- before I undertake said task.

Archived again - sic.

I realize that all of this makes me seem terribly pedantic and for that I apologize; it is not my intention to annoy anyone or come across as pedantic. However, that being said, I am terribly pedantic. Sorry, no harm intended. In fact, thank you again for this wonderful site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:56 am 
Rad-X

Cloudhurler wrote:
Following the posting of Part IV of the Stanley interview, I will begin to send the error corrections directly to you

Hey Ghoul, your cover's blown. :lol:

Cloudhurler wrote:
I do intend to scour the screenplays as well; however, now that you have made contact with Stanley will there be new screenplay drafts posted i.e., author's preferred drafts before studio interference and whatnot? It would be nice to know -- in general -- before I undertake said task.

I hope there will be new screenplays added in some point. Stanley has been responding quite positively to the idea of including, say, Hardware 2: Ground Zero, as it will probably never be filmed. He tends to be a busy man, but he'll deliver sooner or later.

Hardware 2 will likely be a writer's draft if you may, I don't think Stanley ever received that much script notes from anyone, as it was never really sold. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an early draft of Dust Devil, which sounds quite nasty based on what can be read from Stanley's diaries and what I've heard straight from the horses mouth.

Cloudhurler wrote:
I realize that all of this makes me seem terribly pedantic and for that I apologize;

No harm done. I'll always have the perfect excuse; English ain't my mother tongue.

Glurrk wrote:
In any case, that's one hell of a first post, isn't it? :D

You can say that again. It's takes all kinds to make a world - including pedants. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:16 pm 
Scavenger

Hardware II: Ground Zero and Dust Devil would both be amazing additions to the Screenplay section; however, I was curious if earlier less-compromised drafts of Hardware and The Island Of Doctor Moreau would become available as well.

If you ever need help with transcripts or whatnot I offer my services as an obsessive geek. Not that I needed to clarify that last portion for you.

-Cloudhurler-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:37 am 
Scavenger

Archived also -sic.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is there a way that I could edit these interviews/articles myself? It would save a bit of time and with things like this interview I could tighten-up the syntax and whatnot much more thoroughly than I have indicated here. And if I could actually work with the tapes themselves all the better. . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:11 am 
Rad-X

Cloudhurler wrote:
Is there a way that I could edit these interviews/articles myself?

Phoebus could mail you the whole interviews folder, you could ignore the HTML tags and work on the text. He could then upload the proofread files.

I'll mention him about this, he recently came down from his mountain again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:16 am 
Scavenger

Re:espoo interview 'errors':
My intention was to present Stanley's talk as accurately as possible... It means also capturing the unfinished sentences or wanderings of his thoughts, and ideas he gets in the middle of a sentence... These are marked with '...' (3 dots) which is a pretty common & grammatical way of marking unfinished sentences...

The same goes for my use of [...] to mark parts that were shortened because of inconsequential talk/events surrounding the interview...
I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD CHANGE THAT...!

As for the rest – there may be some spelling errors cause I didn't even have the time to proofread it, & if some are found, sic. should change them... This does not apply to British English, which I find fit to convey Stanley's very British accents, & is another way of bringing his speech closer to the reader...

I guess Cloudhurler means no harm, and my remarks should be taken in the same spirit.

PS: I envy him the amount of free time on his hands!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:40 am 
Rad-X

Yeah, I'll put a lock into this one.

Cloud, mail/PM any further listings, no reason to make a thread full of them.

Post subject: Addendum To The Previous Topic
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:34 am 
Scavenger

"My intention was to present Stanley's talk as accurately as possible... It means also capturing the unfinished sentences or wanderings of his thoughts, and ideas he gets in the middle of a sentence... These are marked with '...' (3 dots) which is a pretty common & grammatical way of marking unfinished sentences..."

I intend no ill-will and am grateful to you for transcribing the interview, but your response does seem born out of defensiveness -- and I cannot fault you for that. However, as such there seems to be some disharmony in what you have said. Your not "hav[ing] the time to proofread . . ." conflicted with your intention to present Stanley's talk as accurately as possible; otherwise, there would have been no errors of spelling and whatnot. :D

There are two schools of thought as to whether ellipses should have a space between each point or not -- I belong to the former, as I believe it scans better, and was putting it forward as such. And yes, mid-sentence ellipses are a common means of indicating a pause or trailing off of speech, but in terminating a sentence there is a fourth ellipsis point.

"This does not apply to British English, which I find fit to convey Stanley's very British accents, & is another way of bringing his speech closer to the reader..."

True enough, but as stated in an earlier entry to the previous topic I indicated each instance of British spelling; certain articles and interviews were inconsistent in their usage and I left it to Sic.'s discretion. It was appropriate, I thought, in said interview, but I still listed them -- more out of habit than out of any objection.

"I guess Cloudhurler means no harm, and my remarks should be taken in the same spirit."

Yes, no harm was meant then or now. I merely wanted to be helpful then and to clarify now.

"PS: I envy him the amount of free time on his hands!"

Not so much free time as insomnia and celerity in reading and typing. Any further suggestions of corrections I will send directly to Sic. And again, my apologies for any ire unintentionally irked.

Post subject: Re: Addendum To The Previous Topic
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:28 pm 
Scavenger

Cloudhurler wrote:
your response does seem born out of defensiveness -- and I cannot fault you for that. However, as such there seems to be some disharmony in what you have said. Your not "hav[ing] the time to proofread . . ." conflicted with your intention to present Stanley's talk as accurately as possible; otherwise, there would have been no errors of spelling and whatnot. :D

a little bit more of my 'defensiveness':
you're wrong in seeing disharmony in my statements: sic.ko Lauri was supposed to do the proofreading & editing before putting the text on the site & he did quite a decent job there.

get it now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:29 pm 
Scavenger

I will not say anything further as it will only further irk your ire which, as previously stated, is something that I do no intend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:33 am 
Rad-X

Kids, use Private Messages. A perfectly healthy way to clean the air after a pissing contest.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]